As a prototype, the SD40-2 was the most popular second-generation diesel with sales of over 3000 in the U.S. and more than 700 in Canada. There were many variations of this popular diesel because of the long production run.
- All handrails and grab irons are factory installed, making the model ready to go out of the box
- Functional ditch lights that can be switched between alternating and steady modes on-the-fly
- Great for pulling our Gunderson MAXI-IV double stack well cars
- Locomotives feature directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted numberboards
- Sound friendly construction with a speaker housing in the fuel tank
- Ditch lights can be synchronized with horn or bell functions with the installation of an 8-pin sound decoder