(Picture shows a different road number)
First built for Union Pacific in the late 1980's by General Electric, the DASH 8-40C diesel locomotives were identified by an enlarged exhaust stack and the mounting of the dynamic brake grids in a square-like unit behind the cab, which housed an enlarged equipment blower fan. These six-axle, 4,000 hp engines are still in service today in North America.
The 4,000hp Dash 8-40CW was produced by General Electric between 1989 and 1993 as a follow-up to the successful Dash 8-40C locomotive. The most distinguishing feature of this model was the introduction of GE’s version of the wide-nose “North American Safety Cab.” This style of cab would become a common sight on railroads across the country. Four major railroads purchased the Dash 8-40CW in fairly large quantities, including Conrail, CSX, Santa Fe and Union Pacific. Most of these units are still in regular mainline and heavy-haul freight service today. Due to various mergers, they can also be seen operating for new owners Norfolk Southern and BNSF.
The Atlas Master™ Series Gold versions of these locomotives are able to use all of the QSI® Quantum System™ sound features on DC layouts with use of the Atlas Quantum Engineer™.
- Ditch lights (8-40CW only)
- Number boards, sand fill hatch, and marker lights where appropriate by railroad (8-40CW only)
- Realistic die-cast underframe
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Coupler pocket designed to accept AccuMate® Proto-couplers
- Highly detailed coupler cut bars
- Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
- Directional lighting
- Painted crew members
- Snowplow and piping on trucks
- Recommended minimum radius: 22”
Atlas Master™ Series Gold Additional Features:
(Item # 9695-9674)
Electronic Dual-Mode® Decoder (e-DMD) that allows your locomotive to run in DCC or traditional DC
QSI® Quantum System™ Features Including:
(Atlas Master™ Series Gold locomotives only)
Dual speaker system
Authentic diesel engine sounds
Air let-off in neutral
Coupler impact sounds when operated with DCC
Helper mode that mutes the whistle and bell for double heading
Note: Due to the higher starting voltage required to operate the sound system, it is not possible to MU a non-sound-equipped loco in DC (analog) mode.